Sunday, November 19, 2006

Practical Education

Much education today is monumentally ineffective. All too often we are giving young people cut flowers when we should be teaching them to grow their own plants.

John W. Gardner

Are you missing practical education? Education you can use in the real world. You probably are.

Since graduating from university in 2000, I have come to conclude that I was not taught correctly. I was taught to respond, rather than think, taught liberal education as opposed to practical education.

I was not thought how to make money, move up the career ladder, deal with office politics and so on. I had to learn all that the hard way, through experience. Boy! how much I’ve learnt in six years in the school of life.

All our educational system seems to do is churn out corporate slaves. Think about it, you are taught how best to manage the finances of, say, businesses and corporations, but they neglect to teach you how best to manage your own finances. In effect, they are saying if you want to know how to run a bank, “come to us,” but if you want personal advice about financial matters, “go to a bank.”

Napoleon Hill once said “education comes from within; you get it by struggle, effort and thought. How true! He also said, “All the breaks you need in life wait within your imagination. Imagination is the workshop of your mind, capable of turning mind energy into accomplishment and wealth.

What then must you do to solve this problem? Start thinking and start investing your time in practical education. Think do I want cut flowers or do I want to know how to grow my own plant.

Life is a lot easier when you have the right thought and information.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner