Thursday, February 22, 2007

Money and Dog Pooh

It is easy to avoid stepping on dog pooh provided you are aware and thinking of what is in front of you, just as should do with your money.

What do you do when you step on dog pooh? Do you blame the dog’s owner, the dog or yourself? My guess is you like many others would blame the dog’s owner for leaving their dogs’ mess on footpaths. However, I do think you also played a part by not thinking and watching where you are going.

My journey to the train station this morning was no different; I had to weave through dog pooh dotted along the footpath. My experience had taught me to watch where I was going, to be mindful of the dangers on our footpaths. As expected, I got to my destination intact.

The chap in front of me wasn’t so lucky. He unfortunately was not paying attention to the dog mess on the footpaths and he paid for it by stepping one. Angry about what had happened, you could hear him muttering swear words at dog owners who fail to clean up after their dogs.

Not what he bargained for on his way to work and I could sympathise with him, after all having smelly shoes on a packed train isn’t something you want, especially when people realise the funny smell is coming from you and they resort to staring at you with disgust.

The incident got me thinking, first on how some people walk without watching their step and secondly, how people apply the same mentality to their money. While leaving dog mess on footpaths is an irresponsible thing to do, it is your responsibility to be careful of your steps making sure you don’t step on one, just as it is in your interest to watch your money steps.

It is easy to assign blame for your misfortune on others, but doing so doesn’t solve any problems. What is important is to take control of your situation by thinking ahead and taking the right steps that would ensure your financial health is intact.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner