Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dedication – Lesson from the Football Field

Lets be honest making money by thinking involves dedication

Have you ever complained about people who have more money than you do? You might like to know that their dedication got them to where they are, and you too could be in the money, if you are devoted.

I had gone to visit my sister and her family over the weekend, spend some time with my nephews and catch up on life in general with the family. The boys were glad to see me as much as I was glad to see them, they spent the whole of Friday showing me what they had done in school and so on.

It was now Sunday, a cold and windy one too, and it was about 8:30 in the morning when my sister woke me up. She asked if I wanted to follow her to a football game one of my nephews had that morning. I said yes reluctantly, as I had planned to stay in bed longer and besides the weather was not that great.

Forty minutes later, we were on the sports ground, it was full of people old and young, players and spectators. The under seven’s of which my nephew was one were now warming up on their area of the field waiting for the referee to start the game.



The game started on the referee’s whistle and before long, you could see parents running along the sidelines, shouting and cheering their kids on. You would be alarmed at how serious some parents take their kids participation in football. A good number of them wanted their children to be the next Beckham or Henry, and you could see it from the pressure placed on the kids, coach and referee.

The only goal of the game was scored just before the half time by the opposing team, staying the same in the second half until the end. The boys’ maturity fascinated me because they handled the loss well. The only person with a tear was the keeper who had sprained an ankle.

As we drove home, I thought of the dedication involved in becoming successful in what you chose to be or do. I wondered how my nephew coped waking up early nearly every weekend training on Saturdays and playing matches on Sundays. Playing football was only meant to keep he active and fit, but then I thought if he is this dedicated, he could become a good footballer and probably play professionally for Arsenal (if only) if he so wished.

My thoughts also went to people who moan about others having more money than they do. Only two weeks ago, we were subjected to outbursts about David Beckham signing a £128m contract. However, no remark was made of his dedication, time spent training and playing football from a young age, while other kids of the same age were busy watching TV. You will find the same is true for all successful people; they are single minded and busy working on creating the life they want, not spending a single minute moaning.

Before you moan about another’s achievements, think of what they must have invested to get to where they are, and how you too could be successful by being committed to your goals and dreams.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner